ISD is seeking a Knowledge Management Consultant to conduct data collection and primary analysis for evaluation of International School of Dakar 2015-2020 Strategic Plan. The position is part-time. Questions can be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of Reference
Knowledge management consultant to conduct data collection and primary analysis for evaluation of International School of Dakar 2015-2020 Strategic Plan.
Timing Between December 1, 2019 and April 30, 2020
Compensation USD $20,000 for the project
Location Dakar, Senegal
- The International School of Dakar (ISD)
ISD is a not-for-profit school in Dakar, Senegal. ISD was founded in 1987 through an agreement between the Government of Senegal and the Government of the United States of America for the benefit of the English speaking international community.
ISD is owned by the school community (parents and guardians of current students and current faculty), collectively named the International School Association of Dakar (the Association). The Association’s Articles and Bylaws state that the Association has the purpose of providing a school with facilities and staff to:
- Offer the best possible education program, curriculum and instruction based on standard US educational systems and supplemented to reflect the international character of the student body.
- Provide the students with knowledge, understanding and appreciation of the people, history and culture of the people and nationalities of the world.
- Serve to the extent desired as a centre of educational methods and practices for local and third country nationals in Senegal to increase mutual understanding and cooperation among the people of all nationalities.
As at 20 September 2019, the school has 717 enrolled students from 58 nations in classes Pre-K 3 to Grade 12.
- ISD governance
The ISD Board of Trustees is the school’s governing body. The ISD Board is responsible for the well-being of the school now and into the future. This includes making strategic long-term decisions for the school. The ISD Board employs the Director, who has responsibility for the day-to-day running of the school and educational decisions (the equivalent of the school’s chief executive officer). The Director works with a Leadership Team to lead and manage the school.
- The 2015-2020 Strategic Plan
At the beginning of the 2013-2014 school year, the board and school director established goals to begin the strategic planning process. In the spring of 2014, an outside facilitator was hired and a core planning team comprised of students, parents, teachers, administrators, and board members were selected.
In April 2014, the Core Planning Team met for a day to assess the school’s environment reviewing a range of information, including survey data, enrollment trends, and the school financials. The team also served a focus group discussing the school’s strengths and areas of improvement.
At the August 2014 board retreat, the board and director, Alan Knobloch, established goals to complete the strategic planning process. The Core Planning Team conducted a document review, followed by the administration of a survey, with 322 respondents, and of focus groups. Three strategic areas were developed from the data collected. At its October meeting, the Board approved the guiding statements and the strategic areas, directing that a set of goals and indicators of success be developed for each strategic area.
The 2015-2020 strategic plan strategic areas:
- Strategic area 1: international school of Dakar students should be well rounded in all aspects of education
- Strategic area 2: international school of Dakar students should be able to discover their talents and passions.
- Strategic area 3: International school students should learn responsible leadership skills and apply these skills to issues in a complex and changing world.
In the Spring of 2015, the strategic plan was approved (see attached 2015-2020 Strategic Plan).
- First phase of strategic plan evaluation (SY 2018-2019)
During its August 2018 retreat, the Board created an ad hoc strategic planning committee, whose overall goal was to develop a methodology to evaluate the current strategic plan and design a comprehensive process for updating or creating future strategic plans.
The SP Committee developed a theory of change diagram and its associated logical framework as tools to conduct the evaluation. The SP Committee also created guidelines to developing ISD’s strategic plan.
For the 2019-2020 year, the Board established as one of its goals to continue to promote the dynamic nature of the strategic plan as the foundational document for current and future school improvement in order to meet the changing needs of ISD students and school community.
As a result, the strategic planning committee plans to:
- Evaluate the Current Strategic Plan based on data collected and present final report to the Board.
- Recommend to the Board the type of Strategic Plan and the process to be used in the creation of the Strategic Plan 2021 – 2026.
- Select the Strategic Planning expert consultant.
- Scope of consultancy
In order to produce a well-developed evaluation of its 2015-2020 strategic plan, the ISD Board and Director wish to secure the services of a knowledge management consultant who will be responsible for the overall data collection and management effort contributing to the evaluation of the strategic plan.
The consultant will collect data relevant to the three strategic objectives, including data specifically feeding the logical framework developed in 2018-2019.
The consultant shall:
- Meet with the ISD Board’s Strategic Planning Committee to discuss the goals of the consultancy.
- Conduct a literature review of all pertinent documents as defined in the logical framework (strategic plan, surveys, committee reports and produced documents, director reports, etc.), and issue a document review report, including findings and recommendations.
- Liaise monthly with the ISD Administration Leadership Team to review timeline, identify data source, and present progress to date.
- Collect data to inform Strategic Plan logical framework from 2015 to date, with possible inclusion of 2010-2015 data for key indicators.
- Set up data warehouse for Strategic Plan quantitative data and quality data analyses, respectively.
- Identify data gaps so that triangulation of findings can be ensured. Make recommendations for completing triangulation.
- Conduct focus groups with relevant stakeholder groups (PYP students (2, MYP students, IB students, parents, faculty, administrators)
- Conduct 15 – 20 key informant interviews with school’s Leadership
- Collect a minimum of 8 success stories covering all three strategic objectives.
- Draft a data sheet model that is agreed to by the strategic planning committee
- Develop seven data sheets based on annual and overall achievements.
- Produce a final report, including considerations on the process, quality and quantity of data collected and collated, and presentation of other findings and recommendations.
The consultant shall provide in English:
- A detailed work plan or inception report
- A well-organized, searchable, data warehouse
- A series of data sheets following the model agreed upon to document results for each year of the strategic plan and the overall strategic plan.
- A consultancy report of no more than 20 pages, exclusive of relevant annexes
The consultant will provide draft deliverables by March 31, 2020.
The ISD Board and Director will provide comments on the drafts by April 15, 2020
The consultant will provide final deliverables by April 30, 2020.
- Desired qualifications
- Advanced degree in Social Studies, Knowledge Management, Statistics, or other related fields.
- Proven work experience in qualitative and quantitative data collection, entry, cleaning and analysis, preferably in the context of schooling or educational programs.
- Demonstrable expertise in the development and management of qualitative and quantitative data warehouses.
- Analytical ability to synthetize, organize and disseminate large amounts of diverse data, with attention to detail and in a rigorous and objective manner.
- Excellent level of English.
Please send Resume and detailed letter of interest and intent to email@example.com.